Rant Maggie Rantwww.rantmaggierant.com/
This Christmas show, their 9th in a row at The Aeolian Hall, has become a tradition and we couldn’t be happier to have them back. It is filled with a unique collection of songs ranging from traditional Christmas, folk and trad to contemporary and thoughtful songs and stories about the true heart of the season. As well they really kick it into high gear to get you ready for the holiday kitchen party.
Rant Maggie Rant brings an arsenal of instruments, styles and substance to their shows with versatility and virtuosity. The Stratford, Ontario band’s personality shines through as a collective of six very unique and different artists in their own right, the sum of which create unforgettable moments on stage.
While Rant Maggie Rant sticks close to the musical roots of Ireland and Scotland, as well as the other 5 Celtic nations and Canada’s East Coast traditions, these melodies are usually supported by the band’s unique fusion of hand-drumming, dub/jazz bass, soaring vocals, harmonies and folk/blues/rock guitar. Led by fiddler Lindsay Schindler, the band is supported by centre stage vocalist Glen Dias, who also plays recorder and percussion, Barry James Payne on guitars/bouzouki, Daev Clysdale on whistles and accordion, Stephan Szcezniak on drums/percussion and Steve Clark on bass.
Traditionalists love their approach as they perform time honoured tunes, but in a new and fresh way with an energy that will make you want to dance and rediscover your roots. With the addition of some not-so-traditional instruments, the African djembe, the Middle Eastern doumbek and Peruvian cajon to compliment the percussive underpinnings driving the rhythm, guitar and bass approach from more contemporary and urban styles – folk, rock, jazz, dub and blues. Traditional melodies, Latin and Mediterranean rhythms, heartfelt shanties, revved up tempos and unexpected time changes all collide in original and contemporary compositions, often blending together to deliver an intoxicating performance. Don’t miss this band.
Eleven years ago, Rant Maggie Rant played their first public show July 4th, 2008.
Since then they have:
- played hundreds of shows right across Canada and the US, meeting many amazing people
- logged well over 20,000 miles
- released 4 records
- been nominated approximately 15 times for Folk/Roots, World/Global and International Celtic music awards
- won 3 Folk/Roots, World/Global and International Celtic music awards, the most recent of which was a London Music Award in 2018 for Trad Folk/Roots
- voted “Best Concert” in 2015
- showcased in New York, Kansas City and Toronto at international music conferences
- played with five symphony orchestras 15 times
- shared bills with Loreena McKennitt, Ashley MacIsaac, The Bills, The Beauties, Shooglenifty, Madison Violet, Trent Severn, Emm Gryner, Dayna Manning and countless others.