Before we go any further, press this Spotify button and then press play on the screen that comes up. Then come back here and read on while you listen to a musical patchwork for the 9th month of 2017. It’s a mix of the reflective, nostalgic and upbeat – which is pretty much what this month offers us, right? As great as summer is, September offers a new beginning; fresh hazy days, downright brisk evenings and a chance to slide back into the groove (and renew what that groove should feel like).
September is kick-off month at the Aeolian too.
We’ve had our down-time. The floors are polished, lighting and sound systems checked, bar stocked, and the event listings are in place for the next few months. Check out our new website and browse away; we’re excited about how many shows are coming up and the diversity of music. Try reviewing our show line-up by Genre on the site.
Kicking off the jazz series is “Tis Autumn”, a cozy, free-wheeling look at the fall condition with Jennifer Thorpe and Sonja Gustafson on September 27th. Sonja and Jenn seem normal enough when you talk with them separately; put them on stage together and who knows where they’re going with the program. Peter Hysen on bass, I’ll be at the keys. Brace yourself.
And beyond September:
· The Prime Time Big Band returns on October 27th for an evening of dancing to the great big band standards. Dance up a storm or just stretch out and listen to those arrangements!
· Heather Bambrick (think Ella Fitzgerald meets Carol Burnett) is here on November 5th. Heather’s new JUNO-nominated CD is getting a lot of attention and has put her in high demand throughout the country. On November 5th she is all ours.
· We’re working on a Mel Tormé tribute show for early December featuring Grammy Award winning artist Matt Alber. More on that later but peg the date if you can.
And two international jazz notables play the Aeolian in 2018:
· Vocalist Carol Welsman returns on February 14th for a special Valentine’s Jazz Event.
· And Composer/Pianist/Educator Fred Hersch is at our Concert Grand on March 29th for a another memorable musical voyage. Fred continues to be a leading composer of new jazz music and commands critical acclaim around the world. Fred is a musician’s musician – a true master.
Classically speaking, Clark Bryan and Marion Miller open with Spanish Rhapsody on October 4th, the first of a series of classical concerts to be presented this season. And the Rebelheart Collective holds their fall premiere concert on October 28th.
And we haven’t even touched the singer/songwriter events! There is much to appreciate this fall and winter! Please join us on these musical journeys.
Till next month,