The Aeolian Hall Accessibility Standards for Customer Service Policy Statement
Effective August 2012
This policy contains statements that meet the requirements of the Customer Service Standard and other items that are good practices. This policy will be revised as other standards are introduced under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA)
Our Mission Statement
The Aeolian believes that the arts can enlighten, inspire, and transform, and is, therefore, committed to building a better community through involvement in the arts. Our Heritage building, nationally recognized for its acoustics, is a multi-disciplinary arts centre and school for the arts where the synergy between teaching and performance is fostered and allowed to flourish. At The Aeolian, we provide the highest quality of innovative, accessible, and diverse offerings in performance, education, and volunteerism.
In fulfilling our mission, The Aeolian is committed to include people with disabilities as full and active participants. We will remove any barriers and attitudes that exclude people with disabilities from full and active participation.
Providing Programs, Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
The Aeolian is committed to excellence in serving all patrons, including people with disabilities, and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
Attending a Performance
• Entrances: Aeolian Hall can be accessed from Dundas Street. A temporary ramp is available at this entrance. Aeolian Hall volunteers are available to assist patrons at the Dundas Street entrance before and after a performance. Please contact the Box Office at 519-672-7950 before the performance, if possible, to arrange for assistance.
• The accessible elevator is accessed through the Dundas Street Entrance.
• Seating: Due to the removable nature of The Aeolian Hall’s seating, reserved accessible seating can vary. Typically, there is accessible reserved seating for wheelchairs and scooters directly in front of the sound booth in the Hall. Please reserve an accessible seat with The Aeolian Box Office when you purchase your ticket. Companions and caregivers can be seated next to the individual they are accompanying in the accessible viewing area. These tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If space permits, more than one companion can sit beside the scooter or wheelchair. Please note that tickets in the accessible viewing area are only available through the Box office, not online.
• Staff will be posted at all theatre doors to assist patrons during the performance.
• Guide animals are permitted to stay with their owner throughout the event. A water station for guide dogs can be provided with advance notification.
• Restrooms: The Aeolian Hall has a new accessible washroom on the balcony level of the Hall. This can be accessed by the elevator.
• We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
• We will provide publications in formats that are accessible for people with disabilities.
• We will train staff and volunteers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
• We are committed to providing accessible telephone services to our patrons.
• We will train office staff/volunteers to communicate with patrons over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
• We will offer to communicate with patrons by email if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs, or is not available.
• We are committed to serving patrons with disabilities who use assistive devices to participate in and benefit from our programs, goods and services.
• We will ensure that people are permitted to use their own personal assistive devices to enjoy productions and other applicable programs, goods and services.
• We will familiarize ushers and other staff/volunteers with the various assistive devices that may be used to patrons with disabilities while accessing our programs, goods and services.
Use of Service Animals and Support Persons
• We are committed to welcoming patrons who are accompanied by a service animal on parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
• We will ensure that all staff, volunteers and others dealing with patrons are trained on how to interact with people who are accompanied by a service animal.
• We are committed to welcoming patrons who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter The Aeolian premises with his or her support person.
• Fees will not be charged for support persons accompanying a patron to the theatre.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
The Aeolian will provide patrons with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities (such as the elevator). This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, the anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be delivered to the patrons via our email newsletter, posted online on our events pages as well as the Box Office window and main Hall doors, when applicable.
Training for Staff and Volunteers
The Aeolian’s management will be responsible for coordinating training for all employees, volunteers and others who deal with participants or other third parties on our behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of accessibility policies, practices and procedures. Individuals holding the following positions will be trained: Volunteers, Box Office Staff, and Administration Staff.
The Aeolian wishes to meet and surpass expectations while serving patrons with disabilities. Comments on our programs, goods and services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
• Feedback regarding the way The Aeolian provides programs, goods and services to people with disabilities can made by emailing or verbally telling staff.
• Patrons can expect to hear back in 7 days.
• Confidentiality will be respected.
Modifications to this or Other Policies
We are committed to developing accessibility policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of patrons with disabilities.
• No changes, therefore, will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities or their families.
• Any policy of The Aeolian that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of patrons with disabilities will be modified or removed.
• All outside production companies, renters of the hall and tenants of the building will be asked to respect and promote the dignity and independence of patrons with disabilities.
Questions about this Policy
This policy seeks service excellence to patrons with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or its purpose, an explanation or reply will be provided by the Executive Director, Board of Directors, or by a staff member. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for with any feedback or inquiries.